Tuesday 25 February 2014

How teenagers represent themselves via social media

As a teenager, I understand how important it is to have some sort of account on a social media website. Whether it's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Or YouTube, as teenagers we all have to have an account on at least one website or "We're not cool" or "We don't fit in". This is the stereotype we have adopted as a society.

Okay so... say I haven't created a Facebook and all my friends go on saying "You don't have a facebook?! What planet have you been living on?" Then I end up doing so. Question is, how are teenagers representing them via their social networking profiles?  

How I represent myself is key. What you say and post becomes who you 'really' are. Take Twitter for example. Teenagers represent in a variety of different ways via their tweets. I, for one, do this as well. Sometimes, I represent someone who plays quite a lot of games. This photo shows this.

[will insert photo here]








Through this, I come across as someone really likes gaming, which is all well 'n' good. However because I have done this quite a few times, I represent myself as someone who is OBSESSED with gaming. However, just I play a few games and tweet about it from time to time DOES NOT mean I am obsessed. However, because of the stereotype: "what you post is who you are", people who read my tweets will that I am someone obsessed with gaming, but in reality I play a few games from time to time and that's it.

[will insert photo here]








Also on twitter, from time to time, I have also represented myself as the stereotypical teenager. As a society, we have come to think that teenagers are lazy and anti-social. This I how I have represented myself on Twitter. A while ago, I tweeted "I wanna get up, but I'm too lazy #fwp #firstworldproblems". Through this, I represent myself as lazy. However, I'm not lazy all the time.  Although I may be time to time, that's just part of growing up. Society has gotten into it's head that ALL TEENAGERS are lazy and anti-social, when actually, some teenagers are actually out there, playing sport and getting active.

So, "what you post on your page is who you are" and 'if you don't have an account on social media, then you're not cool" are the stereotypes that we as a society have gotten into our heads. For those of us who do have an account on some sort of social media website, we have come to think we have to represent our "real self" via what we post. This is something I have done on twitter from time to time. Sometimes, I represent myself as the stereotypical lazy, anti-social teenager that we "all teenagers are". However that's not true. Society don't not fully understand social media. How we represent truly ourselves is not via what we post on social media, but instead we really represent ourselves via our personality and traits. If society as a whole can't get understand this, then what's the point of social media?

No comments:

Post a Comment